Monday, November 7, 2011

How I Spent My Summer Vacation-Emily's Edition

Yes it's December and yes I'm still blogging about things that happened six months ago! What can I say...as soon as I think I'm done with a project another one starts right up again. My plan is to have Olivia and Grant both write a blog entry about their summers too, but I have a feeling I may serve as writer/editor on those as well. So...I thought I'd start with mine!

How I Spent My Summer Vacation (or lack thereof)
This June I had a milestone birthday-three point oh. It came and went without too much ceremony so now I'm successfully in my thirties. June 11th hit on a Saturday this year, right in the middle of my rehearsal period for a show I was in: Company with Pittsford Musicals. Company is a very cool Sondheim musical that centers around a bachelor turning 35 and reflecting on the marriages/relationships of his friends. I played Susan, a Southern belle married (and later divorced/happily living together) to my gay husband-->ignorance is bliss?! Basically each couple gives the main character a different insight into life as a twosome. I asked for a big birthday gift this year-my new camera-and I love it! I used it that weekend to take photos backstage. I'm also including some of the dress rehearsal shots that my friend took one night. Don't get me wrong, I love kids...but I was thrilled to do a show with all adults! She Loves Me in 2009 was the last time I was part of a production with all adults...and even in that show I think there was only a handful of us that could legally enjoy a glass of wine after a performance. I made some great friendships working on Company and I'm looking forward to working with these actors and artistic staff on other projects.
with my Company husband-Tom!

with Olivia and Grant after the show

with mom and dad

the whole company...singing Company!

in our apartment-in an awkward prom pose

I'm including this picture just to prove it is possible to point your toe whilst wearing sneakers...just look at that pretty foot!

here I am singing in my best Catholic angel super soprano voice behind my friend Kristen- the crazy bride!

backstage with my friend Mary Ann

married couples and Bobby on stage for his birthday

end of Side by Side-this picture ran in the newspaper too!

We're getting divorced! :)
Other than Company, I kept busy with my usual activities of cheering Grant on at soccer games, helping with publicity for Olivia's summer show (more on both of these in future posts!), dinner and drinks with friends, going to see my friends in other summer theatre productions, playing with my new camera (fun with jumping photoshoot in another post some time!), and generally catching up on television and reading.

I did take a short vacation to visit with three of my very good college girlfriends. Last summer we all gathered in West Palm Beach where Marisa lives, so this summer we all made the trip out to Nashville where Maribeth lives. MB lives right in downtown Nashville and it was great to be within walking distance to all the fun. This summer all four of us celebrated our 30th birthdays so MB made a super cute list of 30 things to do in Nashville for our 30th! We had so much fun just spending time together. It's always bittersweet to see these girls-my friends from both the Freed Center (theatre) family and Delta Zeta (sorority sisters). It's so easy being friends with them. The best time we had together was sitting around catching up and laughing-it's like we never left ONU. Friendships like these are something really rare and really special. I'm so glad that my time in college brought me to these girls. They are the kind of friend that you could (and I have) call or email any time, any day, just because you need someone to hear you. Would I have been friends with them if it wasn't for the sorority? Most likely. But am I closer to them because of that special bond? Absolutely.
List of 30 things to do in Nashville!
I love this picture because we're cracking up and that's how I remember spending most of the weekend! We're on the steps of the famous Ryman Theatre by the way

Posing in front of a fountain by Maribeth's workplace-she works for the symphony

This is what happened when we tried to teach Brandi about planking...click here if you aren't familiar with this internet fad

Love, love, love this pic and these girls!

super sweaty after tearing up the line-dance floor

Marisa and an amazing photobomber!

exploring Opryland-rebuilt after the flood last year

signed a wall in a Nashville bar.."Woo" is a term of endearment we used in DZ
So my summer was pretty great. I got to perform and to see some friends I don't often have a chance to see. If turning 30 looks like this, then I say, bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment